A subject that makes you laugh…. and yet! Who has never experienced the unpleasant situation of seeing their dog disappear into another room, gently letting you suffocate yourself?!? Your dogs’ gas is often a nightmare. But where exactly does that smell come from and is there a more breathable solution? We will tell you about flatulence in dogs.
What is flatulence in dogs?
Table of Contents
- What is flatulence in dogs?
- The causes of excessive gas production
- Dietary measures to reduce flatulence in dogs
- Medicinal aids
- Any tips for controlling flatulence in dogs?
- Towards a natural solution?
Flatulence is excessively formed gas in the stomach and intestines that is expelled through the anus. This is a very common manifestation in dogs, much to the despair of their master.
99% of these intestinal gases are odorless. These are nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, hydrogen and methane. The nauseating odor of flatulence is, for its part, due mainly to the presence of volatile sulfur derivatives in small quantities.
Gas in dogs is formed naturally in the digestive tract , following various phenomena:
- the air swallowed by the animal when it eats or drinks, also during the simple passage of air in the pharynx, especially in breeds with a flat face (brachycephalic),
- interactions within the body between saliva, stomach acidity, food, etc.
- diffusion from blood,
- bacterial fermentation in the colon.
The causes of excessive gas production
Flatulence can have different origins. Among these, a sudden change in diet, obesity, aging, taking vitamins or minerals, certain digestive disorders (pancreatitis, enteritis, etc.).
Food is also a factor. Certain foods cause a high production of intestinal gas. This is the case of foods rich in complex non-absorbable oligosaccharides (sugars). These sugars cannot break down by digestive enzymes. They are quickly fermented by bacteria, which then produce large amounts of gas.
We can also mention proteins rich in collagen, lactose, certain vegetable sources (soybean flour, beans, peas, etc.). Many fibers such as pectins from fruit pulps, or spices used in human food and ending up in table waste …
Dietary measures to reduce flatulence in dogs
As food plays an important role in this fragrant process, certain measures can take to reduce gas production:
- Use a hyperdigestible food of high biological value (cornerstone of the treatment)
- Make a gradual food transition over two weeks,
- Avoid wet foods (boxes) containing carrageenan (additive, E407, powerful gelling agent from seaweed),
- Avoid lactose , onions, spices,
- Ban table scraps ,
- Avoid vitamin and mineral supplementation,
- Change the source of protein (favor lamb),
- Choosing rice as a source of carbohydrate
It is possible to use certain drugs used in human medicine to control this flatulence: activated charcoal, simethicone, etc. Your veterinarian will help you to give an appropriate dose.
Any tips for controlling flatulence in dogs?
In the event that flatulence does not have a pathological origin, small tricks can reduce their frequencies.
To limit aerophagia, it is advisable to distribute the daily ration in several meals. And it is also necessary to limit any source of excitement or competition between animals during meals.
To promote the elimination of gas and defecation, you can walk the dog after meals.
Finally, we will ensure strict control of the diet, avoiding or reducing foods that cause the formation of foul-smelling gases (as seen above).
Towards a natural solution?
There are medicines to fight against flatulence. However, their use is limited in time and there are few scientific studies on the subject.
For some time now, an American plant, Yucca Schidigera, seems to offer a natural alternative to petomaniac dog owners. This plant owes its properties to its composition, rich in saponins and polyphenols. Indeed, it would modify the smell of feces and reduce gas. Marketed in the form of a spray, it suffices to spray the product on the kibbles.
So, no more taboos! If Medor raises the hairs on your nose, talk to your veterinarian, there are solutions!