Playing is the simplest and most natural way of raising a dog, which not only benefits, but also gives pleasure to all participants: both the owner and the pet. Playful activity maximally corresponds to the physiology of domestic animals, as it provides ample opportunities for the manifestation of their natural empathy and emotionality. How to play with your dog?
Playing with a puppy is not as easy as it sounds. In addition to physical training at the age of 2-3 months, they begin to teach him basic commands, teach him discipline. Regular games with an educational bias will help the puppy quickly adapt to unfamiliar surroundings, get used to the people around him and, as a result, will develop the best qualities of your pet’s character.
HOW TO PLAY WITH YOUR DOG CORRECTLY
It is very important to choose the right tone of communication and determine the roles of the participants in the game. From the first days of acquaintance, your dog should feel the primacy of man. This is especially true for owners of large and dangerous dog breeds. Pets from these two groups tend to dominate, by 8-9 months they are not inferior to humans in physical strength, therefore, not having received the correct setting in childhood, they quickly get out of control.
To prevent this from happening, when playing with a dog, observe the following rules:
- the game begins and ends at the command of the host;
- stop any attempts to change the intended course of the game;
- achieve your conditions, even if the pet expresses dissatisfaction;
- use your favorite toy for learning, and your favorite treat for encouragement ;
- be patient, level-headed and benevolent, abuse is unacceptable.
In the course of the game, it is necessary to remember about the instincts that are inherent in the character of the dog by nature, namely, the struggle for life and competition. All game moments must be clearly planned and cannot contain tasks that would cause aggression in the animal.
OUTDOOR GAMES WITH YOUR DOG
Active, outdoor games are held during daily walks. It is advisable to play with the dog in a place where there are no strangers in order to be able to release it from the leash at the right time. There are many outdoor games where you can teach your pet basic commands.
1. “Aport” – teach your dog to bring items on command. Pick up an item that is comfortable to carry in advance. It can be a stick, toy, or ball. Simultaneously with the command “Bring!” teach your pet the command “Give!”
2. “Pulling” – a rope, jump rope or elongated object can serve as a tool. The advantage of this game is learning the commands “Take it!”, “Drop it!”, At the same time it develops a sense of confidence in the dog.
3. “Catch-up” – the owner starts to run, thereby luring the dog behind him. This game teaches your pet to run. First for short distances, then for long ones.
4. “Frisbee”Is a popular game of catching a flying saucer. The dog develops a grasping reflex well, both puppies and adult animals like to play in it.
5. “Search for things” – an educational game with the simultaneous study of the command “Search!”.
6. “Jumping” – learning to overcome obstacles. You will need a hoop or stick to play. First, you need to hold the stick just below the withers of the dog, so the pet will learn to overcome the height of its own growth, then you can gradually increase the distance. If the dog does not jump, hold a stick in one hand and any treat in the other hand to motivate the pet to take action.
7. “Crawl”– it is necessary to sit down the dog using the command “Sit!”, And then make it lie down using the command “Lie!” When the dog lies down, hold the treat in one hand and hold it near the ground so that the pet can smell the bait. Then give the command “Crawl!” and at the same time move your hand parallel to the ground, moving away from the pet. If the dog has managed to crawl a short distance, be sure to praise him and give him a treat or daily food as a reward.
HOW TO PLAY WITH YOUR DOG AT HOME
Play with your puppy at home to teach him basic commands and discipline. There are no strangers in the apartment who will distract the animal’s attention, so such activities, at times, are more beneficial than training on the street.
The dog should be taken care of by all family members, so that she learns to distinguish between “friends” and “strangers.” When playing with your puppy, do not let the children make loud noise.
1. “Give your paw!” – the execution of this command is useful in cases when it is necessary to examine the pet’s paw.
2. “Tricks with food” – to perform a trick, you need to throw a piece of food so that the dog can catch it in the air. During the throw, say: “Op!”
3. “Stick-bait” – a stick and a rope are the tools for the game. Tie the rope to the end of the stick, and tie the bait to the end of the rope. The game will allow the dog to chase prey.
4. “Toys” – both a puppy and an adult dog must have toys that can be chewed. Don’t use personal items instead. This game can be used as an educational one, teaching your pet to distinguish between toys and various objects by name.
5.“Bow!” – performing this command, the dog will definitely earn the respect of others. At the command “Bow!” she should press her front legs to the ground, and straighten her hind legs. To perform this, the pet should already be able to perform the “Lie down!” Command well.
How To Teach A Dog To Sleep In His Bed
Teach your dog confidence and calmness in all situations. This is necessary not only for the safety of people, but also for the animal itself.
Observe safety precautions while playing:
- when walking on the street, it is imperative to wear a leash, with the exception of specially designated areas for dogs;
- in no case do not let small children near the dog until you are sure that it is not capable of harming them;
- do not overstimulate your pet, as in this state he cannot control his behavior.
Encouraging activities should be a constant backdrop in everyday play so that your pet always feels a friendly atmosphere and a positive attitude from the owner.