Toxins in dogs

There are many circumstances in which a dog can ingest toxic elements. These elements can be found in nature or even within the environment of the family home. The consequences of poisoning will not be the same for all dogs. Some intrinsic characteristics, such as race or resistance, are data to take into consideration. The fact remains that, faced with any suspicion of intoxication, it is necessary to adopt the right reflexes. This requires paying attention to potential symptoms of poisoning, knowing their source and knowing how to act. We will tell you about toxins in dogs.

What are the origins of these poisonings?

Poisoning in dogs can be caused by ingesting elements that are harmful to their metabolism. Here is a non-exhaustive list of these toxic elements for the dog:

  • food products such as chocolate, onions, grapes or even avocado;
  • plants like holly, lily, oleander and many others;
  • drugs reserved for humans such as paracetamol;
  • chemicals such as detergents, insecticides, household solvents;
  • products used by humans such as alcohol, electronic cigarettes;
  • animals such as toads and processionary caterpillars;
  • fertilizers.

What are the symptoms of poisoning?

Following the absorption of a toxic substance, your dog will suffer from side effects. You should be particularly vigilant and adopt the right attitude if your pet is the victim of one or more of the symptoms listed below:

  • energy loss
  • loss of appetite
  • fever
  • salivation importante
  • paralysis or stiffness of the limbs
  • diarrhea or vomiting
  • paleness of the mucous membranes
  • difficulty breathing
  • tremors and convulsions

Finally, in certain extreme situations, it is possible that the ingestion of a toxic element leads to a state of coma.

How to act?

As soon as one of these symptoms appears, you should not waste time. In this type of situation, an immediate reaction capacity is a valuable asset. You have to know how to adopt the right reflexes while staying calm.

1 / In the event of ingestion of an identified toxicant

The first instinct is to call your veterinarian giving him the details on the absorption of this toxic, namely:

  • The type of poison ingested
  • The amount
  • The approximate time of absorption

Finally, on the advice of your veterinarian, take the dog as quickly as possible to the clinic if necessary. If possible, consider taking a sample of what your dog has ingested.

2 / In the event of ingestion of an unidentified toxicant

If your pet is dizzy and vomits, samples should be taken of what he expels. Thus, the veterinarian will be able to perform analyzes and establish a first diagnosis. Also, he can prescribe the most suitable treatment to treat and relieve your dog.

3 / In case of convulsions

Be thorough and delicate. In order to prevent your dog from accidentally biting you, it must be handled gently and carefully.

Toxins in dogs

4 / If the dog has been in contact with a toxic product

In order to prevent the product from passing through the dog’s skin or contaminating itself by licking itself, it is necessary to act immediately by washing it. To do this, put on rubber gloves and use a preferably acidic soap. Do not press too hard to prevent the product from passing through the skin. This action should be performed as many times as you deem necessary.

5 / if your vet asks you to make your dog vomit

Never take the initiative to make your dog vomit without consulting a specialist beforehand: some toxins such as caustics can be even more harmful if they are vomited! However, if your veterinarian advises you and following his instructions, you can use Ipéca syrup or 3% hydrogen peroxide. At a rate of ingestion of 1 to 2 ml / kg orally, it can make your pet vomit in 2 to 10 minutes.

If you don’t have these items at home, be sure to ask your vet about the best way to make your dog vomit, as every situation is different.

Read More

Addison’s disease in dogs

Lymphoma in dogs

Leptospirosis in dogs

Mistakes not to make

Here are 3 types of behavior or actions that should not be adopted when faced with intoxication.

As you will have understood, nothing beats a veterinary diagnosis. So never act without consulting your specialist.

Never give your pet milk. Milk does not constitute, in any case, an anti poison and can even aggravate the poisoning of your dog.

Finally, do not give drugs reserved for humans. Some of them are extremely harmful to the dog.

As we know, it is very difficult to monitor our animals at all times. Like humans, they are constantly confronted with an environment which can be hostile for their bodies. As you will have understood, reactivity is essential in the face of poisoning your animal. The faster you react, the more likely you will be to treat your dog successfully.